Winter is approaching for people who live in snowy climates. Keeping your home clean and well-maintained inside and out will keep you safe and warm throughout winter. Here's how you can prepare:
- Repair damaged or uneven walkways: If any walkways near your home are damaged or uneven, get them fixed before the situation becomes more dangerous.
- Service your sprinklers: Whether you hire a professional or do it yourself, make sure you take care of your sprinkler system before the temperature goes too low.
- Clear your gutters: After the leaves have fallen, set aside an afternoon to clean out your gutters of debris. This will avoid harm from overloading by allowing water to flow freely.
- Turn up the heat: Before you actually need it, test your heating system to make sure it's working properly.
- Hoses and pipes should be cleaned and detachable, and the outdoor water supply should be turned off when not in use. Outside spigots should be insulated to prevent pipes from freezing in cold weather.
- Clean your BBQ properly before covering it and storing it for the winter. Make sure the propane tank is disconnected and stored outside, not within your home or garage.
- Gather supplies: Store spring and summer equipment and relocate shovels and other snow removal equipment to a convenient location. To help clear frozen walkways and make them safer to navigate, stock up on sand and salt.
- Examine your batteries: Replace the batteries in your fire and CO2 alarms and double-check that they are operational. Review the symptoms of CO2 poisoning to ensure the safety of your family.
- Clean the fireplace: Before using a fireplace, wood stove, or chimney for the first time, make sure it is clean and examined.
- Create a safety kit by: Gather supplies such as flashlights, batteries, fresh water, and non-perishable meals in case of a power outage or severe storm. Make sure you have essential drugs and medical supplies on hand. Don't forget about your pet's food and supplies.
Call or email one of our professionals immediately if you have any questions about home insurance.
At Innovative Insurance Services LLC, we believe our greatest asset is the relationships we build with our clients and we are dedicated to being the right choice for all of your insurance needs. We take pride in our ability to tailor a comprehensive insurance package that maximizes your insurance protection while minimizing money out of your pocket. As an independent insurance agency we are affiliated with multiple industry-leading companies. It is these partnerships that allow us to provide our clients with better coverage at a competitive price. Our staff is knowledgeable and committed to providing a quality customer service experience to our valued clients.