Winter Is Approaching... Be Prepared
Harsh weather is always a major concern for all of us. Recent cold trends have many of us thinking about how to keep warm and safe. We wanted to give you a few tips on how to protect yourself and home during cold, wet and harsh weather trends.
Tips to Keep Home Safe
- Keep snow and ice off of roofs and gutters
- Remove snow from walk ways
- Know where your main water shut off is located
- Place covers over outside water faucets
- Check attic for water intrusion
- You may need to turn on inside hot water faucets to prevent freezing
- Make sure your heating system is working properly
- If you are not using your fireplace, close the flue
- If you will be going away, set your home to a temperature no lower than 60 degrees
Tips to Keep You Safe
- Wear warm cloths- Keep hands and face protected
- Keep clothing dry
- Before entering a heated shelter, brush off the snow
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose
- Watch for signs of hypothermia. These include shivering, memory loss, disorientation, slurred speech, drowsiness, and exhaustion
- If you must go outside, wear several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing
Source FEMA, III & National Safety Council
Standard homeowner’s policies will cover most of the kinds of damage that result from a freeze. If your home suffers water damage, it is important to make sure that it is properly dried and repaired to prevent any potential problem with mold. Call us today for more information.
Call us today and let us help protect what is important to you. Insurance specialists at Innovative Insurance Services LLC serve to help you coordinate an insurance program that determines the best coverage options for your needs – for benefits and quality discounts that help you save. What does this mean for you? By combining home and auto policies, you may be eligible to receive money-saving discounts, a guaranteed full-year policy term for your car, On Your Side® insurance protection, 24-hour Customer and Claim service, and more.