Spring Is Here; Is Your Home Ready?
April 22, 2015
There is nothing more important for your home insurance risk than to properly maintain your home. Spending time on home maintenance will help reduce damage and liability, resulting in continued competitive home insurance pricing. Here are a few things you should be doing now as spring arrives to get your house in tip-top shape:
· Power wash moss from walkways to prevent slips and falls.
· Replace batteries in all smoke detectors.
· Check caulking around all windows for wear and replace if needed.
· Check for loose or leaky gutters. Improper drainage can lead to water in the basement.
· Clean your barbeque, and inspect the gas line if you use propane or natural gas.
· Check for damage to your roof, replace loose or missing shakes, and clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating.
· Clean or replace your furnace filter.
· Have your chimney cleaned.
· Inspect landscaping (especially trees) for damage. If you see any cracked, leaning or otherwise dangerous conditions with any of your trees, have a licensed, insured tree company inspect and trim or remove them as needed.
· Pull out the refrigerator and vacuum the coil vents.
· Clean the dryer filter and check for any blockage in the hose.
· Check deck railing for any dry rot, and repair as needed.
· Hairline cracks in foundation walls might be the result of concrete curing or minor settling and aren’t automatically a cause for alarm. Mark them with tape and check them again in a few months.
· Outdoor lighting timers should be programed so that they aren’t on during daylight hours to conserve electricity.
· If you don’t have a first-aid kit, make or purchase one. For the ones you have, make sure you replenish any missing supplies and refresh what is needed. Keep one in your car as well.
· Expiration date check. Dispose of any items with outdated expiration dates such as garden products, chemicals, medications and beauty products.
· Check/install window screens. If you remove your screens for winter, now is the time to clean, check for damage, and re-install.
At Innovative Insurance we are dedicated to making sure that you have the right coverage on your home. A comprehensive review of you homeowners policy will determine the cost to rebuild your home in the event of a total loss as well as make sure your personal property is properly insured. Be sure to contact us to discuss all the details of your coverage.