Don't Let a Loss Turn Into a Financial Disaster
March 11, 2016
There is nothing worse than having a major home fire or other loss; unless it is to have a loss and then have difficulty getting your home repaired. This is especially true in areas of the country where a major disaster has hit. Unfortunately, disaster affected neighborhoods are often targeted by some unscrupulous people who offer construction, clean-up, or repair “services”, and then defraud their victims. We hope that you never have a disaster, but if you do, here are some sound suggestions for dealing with home repairs.
While standard home Insurance can cover anything from fire and weather damage to injuries and theft, not all damages and accidents may be insured under a standard policy. That’s why it’s important to talk to an insurance specialist at Innovative Insurance Services, LLC about specific coverage options that are applicable to your individual needs.
Here are a few tips to help you survive your disaster:
1. Always hire a reputable contractor.
2. Ask for the contractor’s license and bond numbers, then check with the state.
3. Never pay 100% up front.
4. It is good to get more than one bid.
5. Contractors are not insurance agents; they cannot interpret coverage.
6. Never sign a certificate of completion until you are completely satisfied.
7. Get references.
8. Review all bills and documents.
9. Get your agent involved to help you through the process.
10. Get everything in writing, including costs and how they plan to deal with cost overages and changes.
Insurance specialists at Innovative Insurance Services, LLC serve to help you coordinate a home and auto insurance program that determines the best coverage options for your needs – for benefits and quality discounts that help you save.
What does this mean for you? By combining home and auto policies, you may be eligible to receive money-saving discounts, a guaranteed full-year policy term for your car, On Your Side® insurance protection, 24-hour Customer and Claim service, and more.
Innovative Insurance Services, LLC in Shakopee, MN is here to help our neighbors in Savage, Prior Lake, Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Burnsville, as well as throughout Minnesota, prevent disastrous financial losses.