Are Rideshare Drivers Covered By Their Auto Insurance?
If you drive your personally owned auto for Uber, Lyft, or even a pizza delivery company, your personal auto insurance will not provide the coverage you need, should you be involved in an accident. Uber and Lyft are "rideshare" services that compete with taxis and more traditional car transport services. These companies do not own or operate their cars and do not hire their drivers directly. Drivers are independent contractors who drive their own vehicles to pick up and drop off customers. Here are two big coverage gaps:
- Your personal auto insurance policy excludes liability for hauling others for a fee.
- These rideshare companies also require liability limits above the state minimums.
There are a number of insurance companies now offering specific auto insurance coverage for ridesharing risks.
Here are a few tips for rideshare drivers:
- Call Innovative Insurance to receive a quote to add a ‘rideshare endorsement’ to your auto insurance.
- Read any, and all, agreements so you know what your responsibilities are.
- Keep your vehicle in good working condition.
Call us today and let us help protect what is important to you. Insurance specialists at Innovative Insurance Services LLC serve to help you coordinate an insurance program that determines the best coverage options for your needs – for benefits and quality discounts that help you save. What does this mean for you? By combining home and auto policies, you may be eligible to receive money-saving discounts, a guaranteed full-year policy term for your car, On Your Side® insurance protection, 24-hour Customer and Claim service, and more.