Midwest Winter Weather Has Arrived—Are You Ready?
Swings in Weather Will Create Safety and Home Insurance Issues
January 26, 2016
Now is the time to prepare yourself and your family for the effects of El Niño, as this winter may bring increased rainfall, snow, or freezing. You cannot control the weather, but you can prepare for it.
Home Insurance Review
It is always good to make sure that your home insurance is designed to cover as many weather related risks as possible. Call our office at 952-445-5767 for a free home insurance review.
Protect Your Property
- Elevate or move your furnace, water heater, and electrical panels to higher ground if necessary.
- Inspect your roof and make repairs when necessary.
- Create an inventory list of all personal property. Save receipts and take photos for documentation.
- Check your home’s foundation for cracks.
- Consider purchasing flood insurance.
- Remember to clean the debris from gutters and consider installing gutter guards.
- If you live on a hill, make sure you have good drainage around your home.
- Lock important documents and irreplaceable valuables in a waterproof safe or box.
- Remove or relocate trees that could cause damage to your home during a storm.
- Create a disaster kit to include supplies including food and water. Make sure you include items for your pet.
- Have an evacuation plan and practice the plan with your children.
- Set a meeting place in the case you are separated from your family.
After the storm, you may need to make temporary repairs to prevent further damage. Do not remove damaged property until the insurance company has had a chance to view it. Keep receipts for all repairs for the insurance company to review. At Innovative Insurance, we are dedicated to making sure that you have the right coverage on your home. A comprehensive review of your homeowners policy will determine the cost to rebuild your home in the event of a total loss as well as make sure your personal property is properly insured.
Still shopping for home insurance? Request a quote today to get started.